Boost Mobile Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Boost app or BoostMobile.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit https://www.boostmobile.com/support/contact-us.html
Boost Mobile Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Boost app or BoostMobile.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit https://www.boostmobile.com/support/contact-us.html

Unlock phone before Boost switch?

Go to solution
12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Promoter

Re: Unlock phone before Boost switch?

Thanks.  Good to know for my J7.  Just avoid the master reset (##RTN#) not the factory reset.  https://www.sprint.com/en/support/solutions/device/faqs-about-unlocking-your-sprint-device.html

Highlighted
Accomplice

Factory data reset doesn't affect it. Ever.

Highlighted
Agent

Hello, EricEsoteric. Thanks for reaching out. Please send us a Private Message with your phone number and PIN. You can send a private message by clicking on my name, then selecting the message option from the profile page.

Highlighted
Accomplice

Been a couple days and I haven't heard back from Victor.

Anyone else at VM around that can assist me in getting my phone unlocked?

Highlighted
Promoter

I agree.  I got my J7 (2015) unlocked so it will work on Boost without a new SIM in case my new J7 Refine has problems or my mom wants it.  Custom Otterbox case.  Was hoping it'd work on AT&T too but it won't because that's my backup provider.  I did learn last night that new locked VMobile phones will work on Boost with a new $9.99 SIM so if anyone catches any on clearance it'd be a good deal.

Highlighted
Accomplice

Makes sense to have a specific function to relock it, I suppose, but the factory reset thing seems kind of crazy. If you have to take your phone to a new carrier, never being able to do a factory reset seems awfully drastic.

Highlighted
Promoter

That is the master reset function.  It's also known as ##786#.  That resets the device to the original software configuration.  I was warned NOT to ever do that or my unlocked VM J7 will relock to VM.  Should not ever be needed anyway.  The only time would be if the phone's power got cutoff while the flash was being written to and corrupted the data. Then the master reset would be needed to read from the portion of the flash that is reserved for this recovery process. That's why a phone with "16GB" only has about 9.5GB usable because part of the "missing" storage is reserved for this use. 

Highlighted
Accomplice

What is the ##RTN# function?

Highlighted
Promoter

Be advised that even with it unlocked, it will re-lock to Virgin Mobile if you do the ##RTN# function.  I think it will also re-lock if you do a factory reset.

Highlighted
Agent

If the phone that you want to unlock has been active for 12 months or more on a Virgin mobile account, please send us a private message with the phone number, pin code, and the IMEI/DEC number of that phone.