Unable to purchase phone, support unresponsive

Go to solution
Accomplice

Unable to purchase phone, support unresponsive

I've been trying to purchase a phone from my balance and don't appear to have the option despite it being well documented that it's permitted and supported to do so and having been explicitly told that I could use my balance for that purpose previously. The only payment option I'm given is to use a credit card, despite having a balance substantially in excess of the cost of the device.

I tried contacting support by email on January 27th, which was assigned Case #86183502 and the auto-reply said I should hear back in 24-48 hours. I also attempted to follow up via a reply late on January 31st (in support's listed time zone). I realize and appreciate that with the transition to Boost looming VM may be short on support staff and/or have a massive influx of tickets/cases, but I have yet to hear back aside from the auto response message and am rapidly becoming concerned. If a staff member could please look at this case, or at least let me know if there is indeed a backlog, that would be greatly appreciated.

See more topics labeled with:
17 REPLIES 17
Accomplice

We understand. The option to purchase a device using account balance is only available for Virgin Mobile customers that are still on Virgin Mobile.

Accomplice

But did you purchase a phone that is compatible with the Pay As You Go plan? None of the Androids are compatible. And an Android was the only phone you could purchase using your balance. Have you transitioned to Boost yet? This is what I read on Boost Mobile's website...

"If you get a new phone that is compatible with this plan, you can remain on the Pay As You Go plan. However, if you get any phone that is not compatible, (for example: an Android device or a Blackberry) you will need to select another plan that is available with your new phone."

And the "another plan" is no less than $35.00 a month. A co-worker of mine just went through all that. Bought an Android using his balance but couldn't activate it using a PayLo type plan while still having a Virgin Mobile account...unless he agreed to one of the monthly plans. Curious how things turn out for you.

Accomplice

I was told the exact same thing. Looks like it depends on who you talk to. They are not all on the same page. Or they are telling people that so they CAN'T use their balance. Which means they will probably lose it.

I called customer service and was able to speak to someone about using my account balance to purchase a phone. I was told that they were no longer doing this but I should be able to do it once the account has been switched over to Boost Mobile.

Accomplice

For what it's worth, the purchase was made without issues on Wednesday of last week. And while the PayLo plan concerns are something I share with you there are a number of mentions that Boost is "building a comparable plan" and such that I've found in my searching so far. A few example threads are here and here. Boost also has a comparable grandfathered/legacy plan for their existing users, see "When do I need to pay?" and "How much are calls to my voicemail?" for partial details that appear to match. It seems there's a lot of miscommunication happening, unfortunately, but given those details I'm not as concerned as I was before finding them.

Edit: I swear I remember the purely per-minute and minimum top up plans also being called payLo in the past, though it seems that naming is now used for plans with a monthly-rate minute pool and per-usage costs for other services as well. What I found at the Boost link provided matches the (very) old per-minute plans at their last iteration before being retired from offering. Previous versions of that set of plans included $0.25/min for the first 10 then $0.10/min after and other variations before becoming $0.20/min $0.10/text $0.50 or $1.00 each for MMS $1.00 or $1.50 per MB data, then I believe the final version with $0.20/min+text+MMS and $1.50/MB data.

(As an aside, Boost's provided reasoning for discontinuing offering it to new customers in that article is hilarious to anyone with low usage, but that's another issue entirely.)

Accomplice

I too was able to purchase a phone with my balance but they are now saying they are no longer doing that. I purchased my phone about a month ago. I have inquired several times the past week or so for my mother.

Accomplice

But will you be able to be on a PayLo type plan after the migration to Boost? I have been told no several times. Was told Boost won't have a PayLo plan. And cheapest plan is $35.00 a month.

Accomplice

@MTClarity@marlany19@Callastatsand for anyone else who comes across this while still relevant:

You can indeed still order over the phone as Reinhardt-S noted, but the expected menu options direct callers to the website or physical stores as at least two of you found. I was able to speak to a representative by working through the troubleshooting menu and it eventually directed me to a person, though I don't remember the specific options I chose. Other paths through the menu might also work, but that's the one I know did.

I had another question about an error I had received when trying to top up via my phone (something to the effect of excessive balance and another possible reason, site-based top up worked fine and I'm told it was likely just a temporary glitch) so it worked out and I led with that question. After that was addressed I asked if they could handle the order and it was painless to complete from there, just verification of details as expected. The record of the order logged a little strangely in online account management (order status "closed", and a few other things that initially caused concern it may not have gone through) but I got my phone successfully in roughly two days (on a two to four business day processing/shipping estimate).

Accomplice

Were you able to purchase a phone?

Accomplice

Were you able to purchase a phone? I was able to purchase a phone using my balance by messaging a Virgin Mobile agent. But that was after being told by another agent that they were no longer letting customers purchase phones using their balance. There IS no customer service by phone anymore. And it depends on which Virgin Mobile agent you message as to whether or not you will be successful at purchasing a phone. All I have to say is...YOU BETTER TRY TO PURCHASE A PHONE BEFORE THE MIGRATION TO BOOST MOBILE BECAUSE AFTER THAT...well, after that it ain't happening.