How do I know if my phone is unlocked?

Highlighted
Accomplice

How do I know if my phone is unlocked?

So, I'm not a fan of Boost. I've always been happy with Virgin Mobile but understand they have to make their changes. 

I'm going to try another carrier but I need to know if the phones I bought for me and my son (LG Tribute Dynasty) from VM are unlocked. 

If they are locked, I understand I'm able to ask VM to unlock them but I thought I'd check to see if they're even locked in the first place.

Thanks

30 REPLIES 30
Highlighted
Accomplice

Yes,  Mint is very tempting,  as long as you don't mind paying a year in advance. They also have the best choice of phones I've seen at any other carrier.   We've both got the 10 GB @$35 month plan on virgin.  We're waiting to see if boost honors the 10Gb plan. Otherwise we might have to jump ship because 3gb won't do it,  but we really don't need unlimited data either. I'm hoping Boost will honor our VM plan because we just bought our phones in November and I'd like to keep using them for awhile.

Highlighted
Accomplice

Aha! I didn't catch what you just clearly said. Sorry! I just went to system, updates and UICC Unlock and it still shows as locked to a Sprint SIM only. I'll keep checking that to see if/when it changes.

Thank you so much!!

Highlighted
Accomplice

Hi, Maryrk, thanks for writing! (I wondered if I looked like a weirdo typing to myself so much! :winking_face:

I wondered how I'd know once it is unlocked. My son wants to try Mint and said he can check if the phone is unlocked by buying their SIM card, putting it in and seeing if it asks for an unlock code (or if it lists multiple carriers). 

This is all foreign to me. I worried that if he takes out the VM SIM and tries a new one from a different carrier, it'll mess up his phone. We both have the same model. He said he checked on their site and it showed his phone will work there (but then again, that may not be completely accurate).

Sorry for rambling. Our accounts are paid (for a few more days) so I also worried service would be interupted and then we'd really not know if/when phones become unlocked.

Fun, fun, eh?! :winking_face:

Highlighted
Accomplice

My husband and I recently got our phones unlocked by VM. It took 3 business days.  We didn't get any notification that it had been done, but when we went into: settings, system, system update,  under UICC unlock it says UICC unlocked for any sim card. Unfortunately just because your phone is unlocked it doesn't mean you can use it on another service.  Both our phones are Motos, mine a newer model.  But when we checked T-Mobile they said his could be used on their service,  but mine could not.  But at least getting them unlocked might give you options. 

Highlighted
Accomplice

Okay, she has clarified. (Joy1713 is wonderful!)

I hate that the employees at Virgin Mobile are losing customers because of the transition to Boost. 

frankt, JohnJ7 and Joy1713 have been really helpful! (I hope Boost treats their customers as well as VM has treated me and my son.)

Highlighted
Accomplice

Now, more confusion. The next response I got said that both phones ARE eligible to be unlocked because they've been active more than 14 days. ???!!!

(Is anyone else reading this at all?)

Highlighted
Accomplice

Okay, a new response from a new employee. They said they've submitted the 'unlock request' for boths phones and it can take 3 to 5 days to be completed. 

So....I still don't know if there is something I have to do on my end.

This also means unless I top up, I'll be without a phone.

I've asked if my prior phone (used with VM before this LG for 2 years or so) can be unlocked. 

I'm tempted to just buy a new unlocked phone on amazon and start with a new carrier all together.

:disappointed_face:

Highlighted
Accomplice

Yargs! My own phone isn't eligible to be unlocked until March 16th!!! My son's is eligible.

So, I could either go without a phone until after the 16th or pay for another month at VM, it'll switch to Boost and will have to hope that the Boost people will be as helpful as VM's people! :disappointed_face:

JohnJ7 has been helpful. Thanks!

Highlighted
Accomplice

In case anyone else needs information like this, I've sent a PM to one of VM's employees. He (JohnJ7) asked for the phone number, PIN and MEID. I've sent that but haven't heard back yet.

The guy yesterday (frankt) was really helpful.

One of the things I'm going to miss if I leave is VM's customer service. I've always been happy with them.

Highlighted
Accomplice

Another quick, related question. If I try a new carrier and don't like it, and want to come back to VM now Boost, am I able to do that?