Why cant i use mobile data during a phone call??

Go to solution

Why cant i use mobile data during a phone call??

When I'm on a call sometimes a friend will send me pictures or I want to be on Facebook at the same time. I've noticed that I can't be on a call and do anything over my mobile data. Why? Is there an update or something that will fix this. I never had this issue with my previous carrier.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Agent

Re: Why cant i use mobile data during a phone call??

Hi @Dreasaurusrex.

We want to provide our customers with the best experience at the lowest cost. Boost phones let you talk on the Boost network while also using data on a Wi-Fi connection. This phone configuration provides the best battery life and the highest LTE data speeds at the lowest cost to you.

~Nosh_CxUx

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
Agent

Hi @Dreasaurusrex.

We want to provide our customers with the best experience at the lowest cost. Boost phones let you talk on the Boost network while also using data on a Wi-Fi connection. This phone configuration provides the best battery life and the highest LTE data speeds at the lowest cost to you.

~Nosh_CxUx

View solution in original post

Accomplice

Boost leverages the Sprint™ Network which is CDMA. A key limitation of CDMA is that data and voice cannot be sent simultaneously. GSM networks like ATT and T-Mobile allow this.
Highlighted

So there is absolutely no way I can surf the web nor send iPhone messages while I'm on a phone call? If so I will be changing my carrier in the morning because it's 2017 that shouldn't be an issue regardless of the low $50 monthly payment.

So there's no way that we can be on a call and be able to surf the web or send a iPhone at all? If so I'll be switching my carrier tomorrow that's extremely frustrating and paying $50 shouldn't be an excuse as to why you guys don't provide us that service.
Accomplice

To give you an idea of where technology is heading, Verizon is selling off their CDMA network in favor of GSM. Sprint/Boost/Virgin are the only ones clinging to older CDMA technology. Also CDMA uses 3x the battery for such an old tech.
Accomplice

As this is a big inconvenience to all. Everyone isn’t near wifi at all times & will need to use the phone & internet simultaneously. I too, will be looking to move my family plan somewhere else! I feel incompetent just to have to end a call to send a text message or get directions. If boost doesn’t catch up with the rest of the world it’s not going to be worth staying in business. Also your coverage area sucks now as well. There was a time that no matter where I went I had bars & service. Hardly ever any dropped calls. All of that has changed in the last 3yrs. I have more dropped calls then actual calls, when I’m able to get service cause I never have all 4 bars available.. My data constantly is in & out. Poor quality of service.. I’m beyond disappointed!
Agent

Hi @Crissy ! We're sorry you feel this. Unfortunately, our network doesn't allow the use of two or more network services simultaneously. However, this configuration has his positive side: It allows us to provide 4GLTE service at the lowest cost possible.

Accomplice

That is VZW backing out of their roaming agreements to switch to GSM.