SMS problem

Accomplice

SMS problem

I posted this same message on Sprint's forums:

https://community.sprint.com/t5/Network-Coverage/SMS-problem/m-p/964928

I have an interesting problem with SMS that does not seem to apply to MMS. I also have random data issues. Location is 12508 and 12524. Phone is LG Stylo 3. Important to know, across the river in 12553, my phone picked up the signal from 12508, cross county and across the river. NOT good. Horrible signal even outside and worthless data, just to note. Tried cycling and airplane on and off there, same connection, did nothing. 

Now I have, and continue, to update my PRL and profile, and restart the phone. Yeah yeah, I've even taken the battery out for a few minutes. All apps are up to date. Firmware is up to date. Phone software is update to date. I will even try another factory reset eventually, but I don't feel like it now because the side effects of my issues point to a tower-related problem, not to an isolated phone issue. I just am not traveling enough to get on another tower and verify my phone works fine elsewhere.

Issues

1.) SMS messages send within 5 seconds, perfectly fast and normal. They take about 45-90 seconds to receive from both myself and from others. Every. Single. Time. Totally unacceptable. Texts, especially SMS messages, should generally receive as fast as they send. One would expect MMSes to be problematic, but no. This is an SMS problem. 

2.) To contrast, MMS messages send and receive normally. Also unrelated, but to note, I've had no issues with calls. 

3.) Data cuts out randomly. This leads to the expected side effects. Buffering issues, webpages having to be reloaded, etc. I am on Band 41 with, according to a third party app, carrier aggregation. These problems are almost exclusively on B41 (95% of the time), rarely on B26 (800), and never on B25 (1900). In my opinion, this is a tower issue that seriously needs to be investigated. There is an honest problem with texting, and B41 Spark/Plus is way too sensitive. B25 is so flawless, I don't understand why when I am indoors or in weaker areas that it has to try to stay on Spark so hard when the signal I get is so inferior. When I go to parts of my house that drop it down to B25, it is literally the best data experience I've had at my house. When I get towards the windows or better areas, it's like I'm back on T-Mobile or Verizon with the slow data and constant dropping. 

I would sincerely appreciate if this report can get passed on and looked into. Please let me know if anymore information is needed. I do not use social media. Tell me where else to contact if you feel it is appropriate that I follow up with someone. Otherwise, I hope this gets seen. 

Thank you. 

--

I received message that Sprint has closed cases regarding to the zips and cross-locations that I indicated in a private message. 

If this does not get back opened, I will be forced to continue to use a network that is broken and does not work as intended. 

12 REPLIES 12
Accomplice

Re: SMS problem

I have data service issues, and most noticeable in a particular area. I went through the same phone resets; update

profile; update PRL; firmware, etc. and the issues persisted that lead to me believe it was a radio/cell tower issue. After

a few  PM exchanges, the latest PM claims the cell towers are being upgraded in that area but I'm skeptical as it's been

several weeks. No Service Provider should be dumb enough to degrade service for so long on an equipment upgrade.

If there are problems, an SP should be able to detect such issues and address them within the next several maintenance nights,

not several weeks. Meanwhile, data services are mostly not available when needed. I just started a new billing cycle so

I will see if service improves.

I realize that Boost is an MVNO so I'm also skeptical how much access/information they have on the Sprint Network

even though they are owned by Sprint. Sprint supports many other MVNOs so VIrgin and Boost probably need to be at

separate and not having some competitive advantage over other MVNOs. That also implies how much/little that Boost

Customer Service can really do, especially when issues are Sprint network related. I'm guessing you won't get any

real traction on this here.

Accomplice

Thanks for the reply! 

Yeah, I don't expect to get anywhere here, but I figured I'd throw the post on here and see if Boost will respond in any way. 

How long have you had the issues in that one area? For a while or for the whole time you've been on Boost/Sprint? 

I've been on Sprint for two weeks. Best physical signal I've seen, but I've gotten these nasty SMS issues and data issues. It's a disappointment because Sprint has so much potential and this is what we have to go through. I don't know why Sprint doesn't get serious. Why do they want to keep giving AT&T and Verizon the blue ribbons?

Lol, oh well. I'm hoping to see improvement in the next few weeks.  AT&T took forever to get most of their LTE (up until 2015-2016 for most non urban areas!) out and then months later overlay mid-band, but their HSPA+ was impeccable until they did. No excuses indeed. If the big two can do it, so can Sprint.

Another month or two and I'll have to reassess dumping my money to a carrier who can't even send an SMS in under 10 (or 60) seconds, even in the middle of the night (obvious network problem). MMSes send fine, so it's an obvious network problem. They did tell me there is a known 3G problem which magically just got solved (the engineer did nothing or marked it ahead of time) two days ago, which would explain it because I do believe SMSes go over 1xRTT if I'm not mistaken. This is also why Sprint needs to deploy Wi-Fi calling on all their brands, including Boost/Virgin. They cannot have their towers overloaded if they are going to play this game with upgrading or whatever they're doing. And when people are home/public wifi, get them off the network!! 

Hi P4carriers. Please send us a private message if you need any assistance related to our coverage/network services. - E.J.

Agent

Hello, P4Carriers. Thank you very much for contacting us. We can see that you are an Sprint customer. If that's the case, you may need to contact Sprint through their community at: https://community.sprint.com/. They'll be more than happy to assist you.

Accomplice

No,

Sprint directed me here because I pay money to and have a Boost Mobile phone. You need to take care of the issue. I say Sprint because Sprint is the carrier and owner of Boost. That is the clarification. 

Agent

Thank you very much for the explanation, p4Carriers. Please send us a private message with your account information (phone number & pin). We'll be waiting for your response.

Highlighted
Accomplice

My data issues are in a particular area where I use data mostly. LTE data was working well about 3 weeks ago and now I usually don't get any data. I might have some 3G and maybe LTE but it doesn't last. I suspect a tower/radio issue and probably BC41 related as the LTE data was good.

There's an antenna farm about a mile away by a park and river. I'm not sure if if's Sprint's but if I travel toward it and then the

other side of it, I can get good data reception -LTE even. Something happened but no one is really going to do anything about

it.. I will have to re-evaluate other options for data there including leaving for the other MNOs' networks..

This Boost community is just a social media outlet. I doubt Boost (as an MVNO) can do anything meaningful. They can pretend

something is being looked at, hide information/progress within Private Messages, and give vague generic responses.

Agent

Hello, Fwmbm. We're sorry to hear that you are experiencing this situation. Please send us a private message with your nearest cross street address and zip code. That way we'll be able to provide you with more details about your issue. We'd like to check our coverage and the stability of our network in your area.

Accomplice

I am noticing less problems with data, but I have to do more usage and traveling before I can confirm. I'd say any improvements started yesterday. Do NOT consider this a resolution.

The more important thing: Zero improvements with SMS. Either there is a cap on receiving more than one SMS per minute, or Boost/Sprint has a configuration/network problem. I have never, EVER, seen SMSes take more than 10-15 seconds to send and receive, on any carrier, ever. Flood control of this nature does not kick in until a rapid stream of 10-25 or more SMSes are sent within a period under a half a minute. Even defunct carriers like Nextel would only take 30-45 seconds and those were super legacy phones and sparse 2G networks.