OK. This is the first full day of using Boost. My wife and I are not at all impressed. We've only seen LTE speeds ... when connected to a wireless home network. So that doesn't count. Is this normal? Speedtests are averaging around 3Mbps download. One random test showed 30Mbps. I thought the plan I have is for 3Gig of LTE speeds, when I have not seen the advertised speeds. Is this normal?
I've been with Boost for more than a year and data service was good and reasonable. For me, it
went downhill about 2.5 weeks ago, perhaps more because the phone was using my Wi-Fi until
I turned that off for debugging. I think something bad happened from reading other related posts
but no one at Boost will acknowledge that. I don't see any real resolutions -just a lot of asking the
users for Private Messages so we can't follow along or try correcting things on our own. Though
speed tests results will vary, I've seen better than 3-Mbps, usually between 5-12 -Mbps. Now, I find
that I don't get data service at all -especially when I need it. If I do get some, it doesn't last very long.
So, perhaps you chose the wrong time to join Boost. Because it's been ~2.5 weeks since I noticed, I
don't think it's getting addressed. Boost as an MVNO might not be able to do anything as the network
is operated by Sprint.