illcutyouoff's profile

Sat, Jul 18, 2020 11:00 AM

Having an awful experience with your services

I bought a Samsung Galaxy S20 three months ago. It was just after the business settled out after Virgin Mobile folded into Boost. I bought it online because it was quite an upgrade from what I had, and the website said it would come ready to use. Boost made me upgrade to a 5G phone plan that was almost double what I was paying. My phone never got above a 3G signal despite working in a major city that is covered by 5G, according to the map. I could get a 4G LTE signal with my last phone, and even the glorified flip phone I had before that did 4G. Now, a top of the line phone can't get more than 3G. So, I finally took the time to track down what to do about this. I called the customer service line, and "Mike" said I just needed to go in and adjust the settings to join a 5G network. I did this and the phone would not get any service. I called back and "Aaron" said I had a 4G sim card. He sounded pretty incredulous at this but said that's what it was. I would find a white sim card if I looked, and I needed a gray one, according to him. He said I could go to any Walmart and they could fix it. So, I went to my friendly neighborhood Walmart and was told in a pretty disrespectful and condescending way that they don't do that at Walmarts and that I needed to find a store on my own. Fortunately, there was one nearby. However, I am a human and need to sleep and do other things, so  I called it a day. I did check the sim card, and it was white after all. So, I go to the Boost store this morning and the clerk there swapped out sim cards and...nothing. He explained there are different networks and these phones come set up for the old, non-5G network. He called his help line and the rep proceeded to say the phone isn't 5G compatible. So...wait. What? I'm looking right at the store display for this phone saying it's 5G. She didn't believe me. I told her the website (your website) said it was 5G compatible. She said she'd check herself. I got frustrated with her and asked her if this was all a lie and she wouldn't answer me. The clerk in the store tried another card and it still wouldn't read your sim card. He also said he can't easily put my phone back on the network it was on for...reasons. He called the Samsung line and now I have to send my expensive phone that worked this morning in to get worked on because it is now a phone that does not work after a visit to your shop.

So...we have some problems in our relationship. How do you sell people 5G phones on a 5G plan that aren't set up for 5G? Why isn't it clear, whether it be the website or the packaging of the phone, that we have to take it in to get it switched between networks? Why don't your service reps know their own products? How many people are paying for service they aren't receiving? Is this an active swindle, or do you just need to work on your messaging?

You only still have my business because it could be my phone that is the problem. If it doesn't fire up quickly on 5G after I get it back from Samsung, I'm done with your service. I'm willing to give you one more trip to your store, but if Samsung says it's fine and it takes more than a few minutes to ensure it's good, I'm out and my wife will be out. However, I think you should know what my experience has been. It has been thoroughly disappointing trying to even get to the point where we discovered it might be my phone, which I will reiterate worked before I went to your store. You have been more than happy to take my money for services you have not provided, so I at least expect you to read this.

Boost Care

• 

2.9K Messages

1 y ago

Hello, illcutyouoff! Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We truly apologize for this experience. Please send us a private message with your phone number and PIN so we can take a closer look at this.

25 Messages

1 y ago

This seems to be more than just a trend - a couple posts under yours, you'll find mine: "S20 Only has 3G - No LTE, No 5G?" Similar experience, identical in some parts. (And you probably thought your post was long winded... lol) And if you searched around the forums, there's plenty more.

I haven't been told outright not to expect 5G, but you're not the first to mention that you have. I was told that it isn't compatible with the Expanded Network, but have also seen people post that they have LTE and/or 5G with the (white 516tq) Sprint Enhanced Network SIM, so maybe there's hope?

I have, however, gotten far enough to have asked for an RMA, which they flat denied - and that was while holding a phone that couldn't even connect to a network, and was completely useless, even though I have a picture of the Boost store system saying I'm still return request eligible... "But, 7 days!" I had the phone for less than 3 weeks at that point, so I don't think they'll do anything for you after 3 months.

Anyway, good luck, and if you get your S20 working, properly (ie at least LTE), *please* update this thread, as it may help the rest of us. I'll be sure to continue updating my thread as well, good or bad, once I get my phone back. Samsung sent me a tracking number and said it shipped last night, but UPS is still waiting for the package, so I'm gonna assume I won't have it back until Tuesday...

25 Messages

1 y ago

On a lighter note, UPS tracking updated to say my phone will be back to me tomorrow morning. I messaged a rep here, and was told to contact them once I have the phone and they'll walk me through it in real time. So, fingers crossed, and I'll lyk how it goes. I'll also keep my own thread updated.

2.2K Messages

1 y ago

Do you have access to a Wi-Fi network? 

6 Messages

1 y ago

Update to my situation. I've been going back and forth all day with various customer service people through private message. The short version is they had me do everything the clerk did in the store yesterday, such as factory reset, doing some things with the sim card, etc. Where we ended up is one of them telling me I need to go to the store to get a SIM card. Even though the clerk tried two yesterday.

I'm going to figure out what to do. I suppose I need to send my phone to Samsung to see if it is my phone doing this, then see what from there. If it is my phone then I will stay on and hope nothing else ever goes wrong, I guess.

How things could have gone better:

1. Boost needs to be clearer when people buy these phones that they are not "5G ready" out of the box.

2. The service rep on the phone with the clerk in the store didn't know what her product line does. She stuck to her guns that my "5G compatible" phone wasn't a "5G compatible" phone, even when I told her I was looking at the display in the store for the Samsung S20 5G. It's even in the name of the phone, at least as it is marketed.

3. I still don't know how a working phone magically turns into a non-working phone after a visit to the store, and how it's my problem to fix when something happened to it when it was in the possession of an employee at the store. I know you do some clever lawyering when it comes to terms and all, but there's also just plain service. Something you did broke my phone.

25 Messages

1 y ago

You'll end up needing to send the phone back to Samsung, if my experience is any indication. BUT, Samsung will get it back to you, "working" again, i.e. calls and texts will work, but same hamstrung mobile data.

I updated my thread, hopefully it "helps," but looks like we're stuck in the same boat, at least for now.

1 Message

1 y ago

The exact thing happened to me! I have talked to 4 online support "techs" and the guy at my local Boost store gave up after 30 minutes of messing with it.

Always had great 4G service on my Virgin Mobile phones. Now I have a $900 phone that is worst than almost any other smart phone with any other company.

Tried leaving a bad review of the phone online to explain the situation. The review was removed in less than 24 hours. Not a very honest move from Boost.

Some answers would be nice. Even if the answer is just " We screwed up, and this is how we will make it right".

Boost Care

• 

3.2K Messages

1 y ago

So sorry to hear that, @ZekeG. We definitely want to look into this for you. Please, send us a private message to take a look at this. To send a private message just click on the picture of any Boost Mobile agent and, in the next screen, click "send this user a private message". 

13 Messages

1 y ago

Same problem. I only get spotty 3g on my S20. I was a Virgin Mobile customer and never had any issues. I upgraded from an S5 after the transfer to Boost. Really regret it.

25 Messages

1 y ago

And I just double checked my account settings, and I do not have any/all numbers blocked. I checked in part because when I got my phone back from Samsung, and got it working(ish) again, my Boost account had been set to block all incoming messages, and not by me, and I'm pretty sure Samsung couldn't/didn't access my Boost account to change it, which leaves, uh, yeah, Boost... Smh

25 Messages

1 y ago

Just today I had a new problem with my S20 brought to my attention, and after having a couple people try, can confirm - I can send and receive texts, I have the same garbage 3G mobile data, I can make calls; but apparently I cannot receive calls. Looking at my call history, which transfered from my old phone, I haven't received an incoming call since June 23rd, which, probably not coincidentally, was when I activated the S20! Awesome...

Apparently everyone gets a message that says something to the effect of "The subscriber you have dialed is currently not in service. If you believe you have reached this message in error, please try your call again later." And then it gives an error number...

Same result when dialing me from another Boost number, and Verizon numbers. Trying to figure out if I know anyone with AT&T to give it a shot, but doubtful it would make a difference.

Didn't realize until now in part because I almost exclusively get robo calls and wrong numbers, everyone I know just texts, and if they want to talk, they text me to call when I can. I honestly feel pretty stupid for not having checked this until someone told me about it, with all the other issues I've had in the past month or so with this phone, err, well really, with Boost...

So, any other S20 users have similar problems that can/can't receive incoming calls? Please give it a try and post your results!

This is just beyond ridiculous at this point...

Boost Care

• 

4.5K Messages

1 y ago

Hello Bristol. The issue that you've described suggests a problem with the activation. Please send us a private message so we may find a solution.

You can send a private message by clicking on an agent's name, then selecting the message option from the profile page.

7 Messages

1 y ago

same exact problem with me. Boost Mobile is a scam.

3 Messages

1 y ago

Well, my issues are similar....but different. I took advantage of the Boost Up program, and got the shiny new S20 5g phone just over 2 months ago. From day ONE, it has had issues making and receiving calls.  In many cases, I make a call and the party on the other end cannot hear me.  I eventually figured out that restarting the phone would let me make a call....but I also learned that was no a fix, as my conversation could end up at any point with the other party telling me I was gone again, or I would not be able to hear them, OR the call would drop.

I have been to the local Boost store MULTIPLE times, have talked to Boost 'Customer Care' MULTIPLE times, and I went to a local UBreakIFix store, per Samsung's page. The UBreakIFix store did some kind of software upgrade, which they told me CAN fix the issue....and when I pressed them on that statement, they told me that the s20 doesn't generally have issues....but the carrier (Boost Mobile) does!  Well, that download did NOT fix my issue! 

Next, I called Samsung, and they want me to send the phone back to them for investigation into my issue.  No, they will NOT send a loaner phone until my phone returns, so I would be out of a phone until it comes back. This is completely UNACCEPTABLE, and it begs the question, "What kind of business is Boost Mobile running here, if they can't sell a **bleep** phone that works?" In ALL of my Boost Mobile experience, I have never had so many issues with a new phone. I thought I was getting a great deal through the Boost Up program, but in reality, it's been a nightmare.  The biggest nightmare, for me at least, is the crappy "customer service" I have received by Boost as well as Samsung, because this is NOT a cheap phone....it's $900! Having to restart your phone multiple times on a daily basis is simply NOT fun, and the general attitude is, "Oh well, it's YOUR problem now!"

At this point, the ONLY reason I remain with Boost Mobile, is that there are 16 more monthly installments remaining on my phone and until this issue came about I was completely happy with the service. Never thought I would yearn for the days of going back to my S8+, because I never had an issue with that phone!  But in the name of CUSTOMER SERVICE, let's get this fixed!!!! I am very close to demanding they send an RMA for this phone!

3.6K Messages

1 y ago

Hey there @w8erv65 Thank you for bringing this up to our attention. We sincerely apologize for the difficulties you're experiencing. We'll to review this issue further.. Would you please be so kind to send us a Private Message, so we can further assist you?

To send a Private Message you can go to your profile and click on the icon with an envelope. Then you enter the username of the person you want to send a message to and the subject. Or you can go to the user profile by clicking on the username and click on "Send this user a Private Message". 

~JoyP.