T

Mon, Aug 2, 2021 3:52 PM

Boost gave me a free SIM card update but shows up as invalid

I got a free SIM card from Boost and after having it activated, it shows up as invalid sim card. I don't know how to fix this issue and can't figure out how after trying multiple stuff online. I have a Samsung galaxy s8 if that helps.

Stuff I've tried so far:

- Reset Network settings

- Tried to factory reset my device but unable to do so as it needs network connection

- Was told to wipe the Sim card clean to make sure it has connection.

-Reset Sim Toolkit app

I can not call customer service as I do not have an extra phone with me. I reached to support chat before that stated I would get an email two to three days later after reaching them but I have not received anything. I've had no network connection since 6 days ago.

Responses

Accepted Solution

3 Messages

2 m ago

Found my issue. Samsung Galaxy phones 10e and under were unable to update their sim cards, where it just does not work nor are you able to go back to your old sim card as the updated network does not support it. As I had a galaxy s8, my phone was not supported. Wished customer support just told me that when I activated this sim card. I only found out as a staff at the boost mobile store near my house told me. Had to buy a new phone to be able to get calls, text and data.

62 Messages

@tonyeng

Unfortunately Tony, this problem seems to affect a large number of Samsung phones.  Samsung won't be able to help you as the problem is the type of network the new Boost SIM chip is trying to connect to.  So, you really have two options... 1) Get a new boost mobile phone.  The new phone will come with a new and compatible SIM chip, and you'll be able to move on with your life.  Option Two, however, is a little bit strong handed and involves taking your phone elsewhere. Unfortunately, I had to use the latter option on half of my phones, as they were either broken or simply weren't capable of being upgraded.

I'll let you know right up front, since you've switched to the new SIM chip, there will be no way for Boost to be able to call you, should you wish to take your number with you, should you decide to switch carriers.  Reason being is that they've implemented a new security policy that requires them to call your phone and speak to you, before they give you account number.  But if your phone is "bricked" like mine were, you'll have no choice but to take whatever new number your new provider gives you.

Hopefully you'll see this before Boost deletes it, as they've deleted a number of my posts as of late, simply because I was critical of their company and it's lack of planning and poor communications. 

20 Messages

Mine done the same thing invalid sim no service for days..message said sim unlocked and I put the new sim in on my S9 and it worked. Full bars LTE

20 Messages

@tonyeng not so...if ur phone is locked to Boost/sprint request unlock and then put in sim card. Its switching towers so it needs to be able to switch to the mobile and can't if its locked to boost 

13 Messages

No, my new iphone came with a new sim card and it still doesn't work. 

14 Messages

@Nctjcusmc54 

go to the very bottom of this thread and do what the last post suggests.

Accepted Solution

7 Messages

1 m ago

My Samsung  S10e is working again and it is entirely thanks to this discussion!

Luckily, I have been with Boost long enough to be eligible for phone unlocking. I submitted a request via chat on their website on Monday. Tuesday afternoon I received an email confirmation that my phone would be unlocked "within a few hours" and to keep it powered on with the Sprint SIM card in it. My big gamble was: which SIM card do I leave in it? My old one, which still connects to the network but is no longer associated with my phone number, or my new SIM card which is tied to my phone number but is "invalid" according to the phone?

I chose to leave the old SIM card in, so at least I knew it registered on the network. I never saw any message appear on my phone after a few hours and thought the attempt had failed. But left it on, with the old card in, overnight.

This morning there was still no message on my phone, but on a whim I went to Settings>Software Update>UICC Unlock and pressed it. After a minute of spinning and thinking it told me my phone was unlocked! So I powered down, put the "new and improved" SIM card back in and voila! I'm back in business on the new network with a fully unlocked phone.

(edited)

Boost Care

• 

67 Messages

Hi there, Karl! Thank you for reaching out to us! We are glad to hear that you are back in business! We deeply appreciate your patience, Karl. Thank you for being part of the Boost Family! Have a great day and week!

Cindy A.

14 Messages

@CindyA2313 - I hope I'll be able to get the same help because my new phone - which I bought from Boost -  isn't connecting to the network.

9 Messages

What kind of phone do you have?

I have an older phone I bought from Boost, and got the new SIM and it won't work, and they won't unlock it to work.

14 Messages

@Broken_Mess - Samsung Galaxy A02s and I bought it directly from Boost several weeks ago. It came with a SIM card but I've never been able to connect to the Network.

When I checked the settings on the phone it doesn't see the SIM card. and, believe me, it's there.

9 Messages

You have a network connection showing though, so that's something. Just sign into your account page and jump on chat, they will help you.

3 Messages

2 m ago

I tried contacting Samsung through chat and they were unable to help me with this issue either. I can't tell if it's a sim card issue as I do not have another phone to insert it into. Guess I'll try visit a boost mobile store when I get the chance. 

20 Messages

1 m ago

Ask Boost to unlock ur device. This happened to me and I was without service 6 days I got a message over my phone said update...then your device is unlocked so I put the new sim in and it worked. Try it contact boost and ask for ur phone to be unlocked from carrier

I tried to tell them it would make a difference since boost switched to t mobile towers and they told me no it wouldn't. But guess what..maybe I need a job at Boost

62 Messages

@Bobbiejojo4  

I think that's dependent on the make and model of yoru phone.  A lot of the older Galaxy S's just aren't compatible.  But Boost doesn't tell you that. Not only has this happened to me personally, but I've heard countless stories in other online forums of phones getting bricked and boost didn't do a damn thing to help.

20 Messages

No but contact the FCC they will resolve it. I was contacted just days ago after filing my complaint

https://consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/hc/en-us

9 Messages

@Bobbiejojo4  That is exactly my NEXT step if I can't get them to unlock my S9. The Customer Service is just NOT helpful. Neither is their so-called Tech Support. Thanks!

14 Messages

1 m ago

I just bought a Samsung Galaxy A02s FROM Boost!
Is this phone affected by this SIM card problem because I have yet to get the phone to work. 

and I spent time on the house phone as well as chat to figure this out.

How can they NOT know this is a problem?

20 Messages

1 m ago

Guys my phone did this too...no service no way to get a call about the phone being unlocked...connect to wifi request phone be unlocked..took about 4 days message came across sim card unlocked free to use any sim...put in the new sim card from boost and it worked...I have to file a claim with the FCC and someone contacted me back bc now every hour or so my phone says activate device I just hit the home button and it shows in notification drop down device not activated but I have service call text and data. The FCC is looking in to fixing the problem. I suggest u start there and let them know ur issue and let them resolve it. 

https://consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/hc/en-us

7 Messages

@Bobbiejojo4  were you able to get your phone unlocked, and receive an unlocked message at your phone, while there was an invalid SIM in it? or no SIM at all?

I have successfully submitted an unlock request to Boost, but am not confident it will transmit to my phone if the SIM in it is "invalid?"

9 Messages

@krefi I was just told the it will work whether the sim is in or not.

9 Messages

1 m ago

I just decided to reactivate my BOOST Galaxy S8 on Boost again after a year of not using it. 

I've been on chat with 5 different people in 2 days, because when I put the SIM in I get the "Invalid SIM" and "Please contact Sprint to unlock your device."

This last person I talked to just said I can't use my phone at all and need to purchase a new one. I asked for my device to be unlocked and could only verify the last number I had, and not the one before that so they refuse to unlock my device, although the time limit was enough on the previous number. But only 8 months on the newer number. I'm so incredibly frustrated that when reactivating online it said my phone is compatible ( as it should be it was purchased from Boost) and out of 5 people she was the only one to tell me that my phone is incompatible. 

I tried explaining that if they just unlocked it I could use it, and I didn't want it unlocked to take it elsewhere, and even if I wanted to I don't see the big deal I own the phone. My service is active for 2 days now, and I can't use the phone, and I can't afford to buy a new one like she so kindly suggested, so now my month of service is wasted too?

7 Messages

1 m ago

Will Boost be able to unlock a phone remotely if the SIM card in it is showing as invalid?

9 Messages

@krefi

Only if you device is eligible for unlock. You have to have used your device for 12 months without interruption for them to unlock.   

7 Messages

Thanks, @Broken_Mess They said it was eligible for unlock and have submitted the request. Now I'm just crossing my fingers that it works, given the "invalid sim" currently in it.

9 Messages

@krefi

Please let me know if it works for you. What type of phone do you have? I'm trying to find any other way to get my device unlocked, even filed a complaint with the FCC. 

7 Messages

@Broken_Mess mine's a Samsung S10e

20 Messages

@Broken_Mess I filed a complaint too and when boost unlocked my phone the sim worked. The FCC reached out to me several times to resolve the issue 

3 Messages

1 m ago

Ticket # xxxxxxxx

I am extremely distressed because I cannot call out nor receive phone calls. I have been without service since last Thursday. Tomorrow, it will be a week.

I am a Senior, over 65 years old, and mostly only use my phone to make and receive calls. After all, it is a telephone!

You sent me a SIM card, requiring me to install it to update my network service. It was faulty. I went to the Boost Mobile store, and was asked to purchase another one.

Ever since that day, I have been cut off from communication with loved ones! This is totally unacceptable. How much longer will I have to be without service? This is unfair, and I should be given a new phone and a rebate for my un-used days of service.

9 Messages

@singerringing

I'm sorry to tell you, but Boost is big time scamming people right now.

If you have an older phone and put a new SIM on it, you won't be able to use the older phone on their new network. If you have had it for 12 months you can ask them to unlock it, if not they will tell you that you need to buy a new phone. 

3 Messages

Wow. Glad I shared. Thanks for "the heads-up." 

3 Messages

1 m ago

I have a week-old Ticket with customer service.

I am extremely distressed because I cannot call out nor receive phone calls. I have been without service since last Thursday. Tomorrow, it will be a week.

I am a Senior, over 65 years old, and mostly only use my phone to make and receive calls. After all, it is a telephone!

You sent me a SIM card, requiring me to install it to update my network service. It was faulty. I went to the Boost Mobile store, and was asked to purchase another one.

Ever since that day, I have been cut off from communication with loved ones! This is totally unacceptable. How much longer will I have to be without service? This is unfair, and I should be given a new phone and a rebate for my un-used days of service.

7 Messages

23 d ago

I have been with boost for over 10yrs I have a Samsung galaxy s10e and was working fine till they switched my sim card to the new expanded network then my phone became disabled. I had to buy a new phone because I need a phone for calls and texts because I don't have a house line and that is the only way my family and I stay in touch. I'm so disappointed in them now that I have read these messages and see I'm not the only one having issues with the new sim card

14 Messages

@Ely82 - The other day when I used their Chat (on the Boost website) I referenced this thread and told them I wanted them to unlock the phone.

They sent me to a nice guy in their tech dept and he asked me to turn off the phone, then turn it back on after a couple of minutes. He sent something to the phone and when I turned it back on it was connected to the network.

So, don't give up. Have all your numbers ready (the long IMEI number for the phone and the ICCID number for the SIM card) and you should be fine. 

I don't think they unlocked my phone but saying that might let them know what your problem is. 
good luck

7 Messages

@cecilia-fx I will give them a call and tell them to unlock my phone. thank you 

7 Messages

@cecilia-fx   I did the exact thing that you suggested.  Link to this thread, and ask for them to unlock the phone.

My phone, a Samsung Galaxy A20, was purchased *today* and was having the same issue others were having with an Invalid Sim Card.  I exhausted all of my options leading up to them saying that I need to replace the phone because it's probably a bad phone.  I knew the phone wasn't bad, because the SIM card that was installed in the phone did not have an Invalid Sim Card error, only the 5g Sim Card Kit one gave the error.  After exhausting all the methods they provided over the phone I was feeling defeated.  I read this thread, and went to the chat service to try and get the issue resolved per Cecilia's suggested verbiage.  It took a little bit of convincing even after showing this thread, and said that I know they are not "technically" supposed to unlock phones that haven't been active for a year, but that I don't have any other options of decent phones and the next closest place for me to maybe get a decent phone would be an hour drive.  They changed their tune pretty quick and said they would send a request for my phone to be unlocked and that the process would be 24-48 hours and that I would get instructions via email.  So that is where I am at now.

Hopefully, after the wait, my phone will be working.  They really need to get these phones that are in the "limbo" zone of having old SIM cards that require activation BEFORE conversion to extended SIM cards taken off of shelves.  Thank you so much for the suggestion @cecilia-fx and I will post on here what the end result is in regards to my Samsung Galaxy A20 purchased new. 

14 Messages

@Day0fJustice  - I'm glad you were able to communicate your problem to Boost. 

Here's hoping this works out.

It's really confusing because I don't know what the heck the problem is with any of these phones and or SIM cards.

7 Messages

@cecilia-fx My phone started working last night about 4 hours after the request was submitted by the chat tech support agent.  Thank you again for the suggestion to help get the issue resolved so quickly.

The problem is that the phones that are still on the shelves MUST be activated through the old system that Boost Mobile no longer supports, BEFORE they can be transitioned over to the new expanded network that Boost Mobile is using.  Thus, these phones are kind of stuck in a limbo since they cannot be activated to allow transition.  The only way around this is to either get your phone unlocked by Boost Mobile (which they are against unless your phone has been in use for 12 months for whatever reason) or getting a phone that is more recent and is already programmed to be activated on their current system.  These phones that are part of their old system need to be taken off of shelves to avoid headaches or potentially losing customers. If we weren't as tech and resource savvy as we are, we would not have gotten the issue resolved.  I hope others are able to find this thread and are able to get their phones activated through the unlock method.

In case anyone is jumping to the bottom of this thread, this is exactly what you need to do if you are getting "Invalid Sim Card" on a newly purchased Boost Mobile phone with the 5G Sim Card Activation Kit.

1) Have your IMEI and CCID available and ready
2) Log into your Boost Mobile account on a device through their website (BoostMobile.com)
3) Use the chat service and ask for help activating your phone
4) Link them to this thread that we are on right now, and tell them that your phone is part of the old system, and needs to be unlocked in order to enter the new Expanded Network system
5) They may push back on you and say that it is only for people who are 12+ month users of the device, just reiterate to them that you do not have another option and that you need this phone to be unlocked
6) Remain polite throughout this process, I know getting aggressive can work with customer/tech support but I was able to remain pleasant the entire time so it was not a pre-requisite for me receiving help.  Just remain confident in this being a solution and you know that it will work to fix your Sim Card Invalid error.
7) When they submit the request for your phone to be unlocked, it could take 24-48 hours (It took about 3-4 hours for mine to be unlocked)
8) Once your phone is unlocked, you will receive an update to your phone, do the update which requires a restart.  Once you power your phone back on, you will be connected to the Boost Mobile network.
9) Finish all updates to get the old system Activation check off your phone and enjoy your new phone.

Good luck to anyone trying to get their new phones working through Boost Mobile, and hopefully they'll just make this standard practice so we don't have to BEG them to unlock our phones.

7 Messages

16 d ago

In case anyone is jumping to the bottom of this thread, this is exactly what you need to do if you are getting "Invalid Sim Card" on a newly purchased Boost Mobile phone with the 5G Sim Card Activation Kit.  Credit to @cecilia-fx 

1) Have your IMEI and CCID available and ready
2) Log into your Boost Mobile account on a device through their website (BoostMobile.com)
3) Use the chat service and ask for help activating your phone
4) Link them to this thread that we are on right now, and tell them that your phone is part of the old system, and needs to be unlocked in order to enter the new Expanded Network system
5) They may push back on you and say that it is only for people who are 12+ month users of the device, just reiterate to them that you do not have another option and that you need this phone to be unlocked
6) Remain polite throughout this process, I know getting aggressive can work with customer/tech support but I was able to remain pleasant the entire time so it was not a pre-requisite for me receiving help.  Just remain confident in this being a solution and you know that it will work to fix your Sim Card Invalid error.
7) When they submit the request for your phone to be unlocked, it could take 24-48 hours (It took about 3-4 hours for mine to be unlocked)
8) Once your phone is unlocked, you will receive an update to your phone, do the update which requires a restart.  Once you power your phone back on, you will be connected to the Boost Mobile network.
9) Finish all updates to get the old system Activation check off your phone and enjoy your new phone.

Good luck to anyone trying to get their new phones working through Boost Mobile, and hopefully they'll just make this standard practice so we don't have to BEG them to unlock our phones.

9 Messages

15 d ago

I REALLY feel your struggle. I have the S9 and Boost sent me the new 5G chip as well and it rendered my phone useless. The only thing they tried to tell me was sorry, and that they were trying to work on the phone. I have been without service on that phone for 1 whole week. Each time I call Customer Support, I got the same thing. They try to trouble shoot and finally sends me to Tech Support who does the same thing and then tells me to wait 24-72 hours for an update that has not come in a week. Then I am asked if I called Samsung? (Myself?) You are Tech Support, why haven't they called. Then they call and keep me on the line with Samsung until they answer and hang up. Samsung trouble shoots my phone and tells me that the Galaxy S9 will not work on the 5G network and can cause damage if tried to activate one in the phone. After 6 days I am finally told that I need to get a new phone because the chip doesn't work. The same thing I have been telling them from day one. So when I tell them that they sent me a chip that they knew was not going to work and knew what it would do to my phone and tells me that I need to buy a new phone so they can activate it. Well the one I have worked perfectly BEFORE the new chip and now it will not work with any chip at all. ALL THEY CAN SAY IS SORRY?!?!?! Oh and they say I need to get a new phone anyway because they are converting to 5G and they older phones will not work. SO WHAT! My phone was working fine and I liked to have it that way again. Customer Service and Tech Support are the WORSE!

CL SMOOTH

Boost Customer for 10 years

7 Messages

@CL_SMOOTH  well they did unlock my phone but it's still not working with the new sim card. They are just making or pretty much forcing people to buy new  5g boost phones or going to another carrier since they can't do anything about it 

7 Messages

Has your phone received a forced update yet after the unlock?

7 Messages

@Ely82 If your phone is unlocked, it received a forced update that requires your phone to restart and it removes it from the original network it's trying to connect to.  If you haven't received the forced update then your phone wasn't unlocked.  How long ago did they claim to unlock it?

14 Messages

@Ely82 -  so, your phone didn't announce it needed to update the software?

7 Messages

@Day0fJustice 2 days ago, it did restart my phone and I checked and it says my device is unlocked to support any SIM

13 Messages

15 d ago

I actually had to go to a Boost store and have the arrogant tech there swap my phones for me. I tried online and the AI chatbot was no help at all. If you have a Boost Mobile store near, it might pay to have them do it for you.

9 Messages

@Nctjcusmc54 I actually went to the Boost store first. That is where the problem started. It was actually the store the told me that it would not work and if he had been there when I bought the sim in he would have told me not to do it because it would mess up my phone and not be able to get it back. The after Boost had ME contact Samsung myself, it was confirmed by Samsung. What does Boost do for me? Tell me sorry and you need to buy a knew phone and they didn't understand why the Customer Service Rep would send me a sim they knew didn't work. REALLY?