What is the Emergency Broadband Benefit Program?
The Emergency Broadband Benefit Program is a Federal Communications Commission (FCC) program that partners with wireless carriers, like Boost Mobile, to provide a temporary discount on a monthly broadband plan or a smartphone plan for qualifying low-income households. Eligible households can receive:
- Free monthly 35GB data 4G LTE phone plan with Unlimited talk and text on a smartphone.
- Free monthly 35GB high-speed Broadband with a one-time purchase of a mobile hotspot for $24.99.
- Customers will be subject to Boost Mobile’s regular rates, terms, and conditions when the program ends.
Who is eligible for the Emergency Broadband Benefit Program?
A household is eligible if a member of the household meets at least one of the criteria below:
- Has an income that is at or below 135% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines or participates in certain assistance programs, such as SNAP, Medicaid, or Lifeline;
- Approved to receive benefits under the free and reduced-price school lunch program or the school breakfast program, including through the USDA Community Eligibility Provision in the 2019-2020 or 2020-2021 school year;
- Received a Federal Pell Grant during the current award year;
- Experienced a substantial loss of income due to job loss or furlough since February 29, 2020 and the household had a total income in 2020 at or below $99,000 for single filers and $198,000 for joint filers; or: Meets the eligibility criteria for a participating provider's existing low-income or COVID-19 program.
How do I remain eligible for the Emergency Broadband Benefit Program and continue receiving free internet service?
You must remain an "active" user by showing usage every calendar month. If no usage occurs within 30 calendar days, you will receive a text message from Boost Mobile and you will be scheduled for a future-dated price plan change on your next monthly billing cycle.
- If usage occurs after you receive the text message from us but before your plan change on your next monthly billing cycle, the plan change will no longer occur and you can continue enjoying the EBB program benefits.
- If still no usage, you will be moved to a comparable paid-version of the plan and will be in a temporary barred-status until the account payment is made; or, you have the option to call Boost Mobile Care and request to be restored to the original EBB plan without account payment.
- If your account remains in a barred status for 90 days, your account will be de-activated.
How many people per household can enroll in the Emergency Broadband Benefit Program?
Only one member per household can receive the Emergency Broadband Benefit Program. Applicants will need to go through an eligibility check before activating. You can access the application here: www.boostmobile.com/ebbp
How many household members can use the free Broadband service?
The hotspot allows for up to 10 devices to be connected simultaneously and is particularly beneficial for home use or for families in which multiple members need Internet access.
How will I know if I’m enrolled?
For new customers, once your application is approved, you will be issued a unique code to track your enrollment status. A text message from Boost Mobile will be sent to you with your enrollment number and instructions on next steps.
For existing customers, once your application is approved, you will be issued an ePIN which you will use to switch to a $50 monthly plan at no cost to you. A text message from Boost Mobile will be sent to you with your ePIN and next steps.
What devices are eligible for the free phone plan?
For new customers, you can check to see if your phone is compatible here: https://www.boostmobile.com/bring-your-phone.html
For existing customers, you can log in to My Account > My Device > View Coverage Map. The map displayed will either be on the Expanded Data Network or on the Boost Mobile legacy Nationwide Network, depending on your device. Your device must be on the Expanded Data Network to be eligible.
You can purchase a device from the Boost Mobile website www.boostmobile.com or visit your local retail location.
Can I add more data to my free 35GB phone plan?
Customers can purchase up to two Data Packs a month to add data to their plan. Plans on the Emergency Broadband Benefit Program cannot be restarted; a Data Pack must be purchased. To add a Data Pack, log in to My Account > Dashboard > Manage Add-On.
What devices are eligible for the free Broadband service?
Eligible customers can purchase an Alcatel Linkzone device for a one-time cost of $24.99 (a discount from $49.99) by visiting the Boost Mobile website or your local Boost Mobile retail location.
- Customers who activate an eligible plan on a new Alcaltel Linkzone 2 device will receive a one-time $25 digital “bonus” gift card after 5 consecutive months of usage. You will receive a text message from Boost Mobile with a link on next steps.
If I move, or my financial status changes, do I have to re-apply for the Emergency Broadband Benefit Program?
Yes. You must re-apply or you will be removed from the Program.
How long is the Emergency Broadband Benefit Program available?
The program will end when government funding for the EBB Program ends, or six months after the Department of Health and Human Services declares an end to the COVID-19 health emergency, whichever is sooner. Boost Mobile will notify customers of any changes to the Program.
What happens to my service when the Emergency Broadband Benefit Program ends?
Upon conclusion of the government-funded Emergency Broadband Benefit Program, you will be moved to a comparable Boost Mobile plan with regular rates, terms and conditions. Boost Mobile will notify customers of any changes to the Program.