Fri, Jan 29, 2021 8:06 AM

Responses

The agent is trying to help get my phone unlocked and says my son's is unlocked (even though the phone itself shows as locked).

NOW...after all this, I learned that I need to get the Port Out PIN from VM. 

And, I have to have active service to transfer over to a new carrier...but my service with VM ends tonight unless I pay for another month. 

I looked for a physical store and there isn't one within 100 miles of my location. My son called a Boost store near him and they had zero interest in helping. (This is the reason I didn't want to stay with them!!!)

29 Messages

2 y ago

This is insane and ridiculous.

No wonder so many people are unhappy with VM. I get that they're losing customers because of the transition to Boost. It seems like they're trying to make it as hard as possible now. Earlier, the agents have been really helpful. Now I can't get a straight answer.

I guess what I should have done was just bought 2 new phones and started service somewhere else before the end of this month.

19 Messages

2 y ago

Don't know if you've gotten the unlock yet,  but just some info on when we got ours unlocked.  We're had to turn wifi on to get the UICC unlock to come thru.  And the VM agents may show the unlock in their records but it may take a bit for it to come into your phone.

29 Messages

2 y ago

Thanks. Mine still shows as locked.

My son finally got ahold of someone at VM last night. His phone showed as locked but she told him it was unlocked. 

He proceeded with Mint (installing SIM and activation). He was able to access the internet using WiFi but cannot text or make/recieve phone calls (still). 
I'm even more frustrated because, out of panic, I paid for another month for each of us ($70) as our month ends today. I was worried it'd take too long and VM wouldn't be able to unlock from their end if the phones weren't in service. 

I'm still thinking a new, unlocked phone may be in order. 
Thanks again

Boost Care

• 

2.3K Messages

2 y ago

@River616: Correct, he will just need to insert the VM SIM card again. 

29 Messages

2 y ago

Okay, he just tried and nothing happened. He has to go back to work so I won't be able to communicate with him until tonight. This has been the absolute worst experience we've had with phone companies.

Boost Care

• 

2.3K Messages

2 y ago

Hello, @River616. Virgin Mobile's network is CDMA, so if you try to use an unlocked Virgin Mobile branded phone with a GSM network (Mint Mobile is GSM), we cannot guarantee that the phone will work even if it was unlocked.

Boost Care

• 

2.3K Messages

2 y ago

@River616: As long as the account is active, he will still have service on his phone. 

29 Messages

2 y ago

Thank you, Nosh. 
Since he put a Mint SIM in it (and they never mentioned anything about it being CDMA vs GSM), I don't know if the SIM will block things or not or if he should just take it out and come back to VM/Boost.

29 Messages

2 y ago

Are you kidding me?! Why wouldn't you guys tell me this from the beginning?!

Boost Care

• 

2.3K Messages

2 y ago

@River616: Please ask him to do these steps when he comes back:

1. Turn Wi-Fi off and Mobile Data on - Settings > Wi-Fi > Off - Settings > Data Usage > Mobile Data > On 
2. From the dial pad enter ##72786# 
3. The cellphone is going to update the Profile and the PRL and reboot automatically.

29 Messages

2 y ago

@Nosh_CxUx - can you please tell me if my son's phone will still work with Virgin Mobile since I just paid another month last night? He started activation with Mint but it's not been completed (as he still can't make/receive calls or texts). 

29 Messages

2 y ago

Thanks. He'll have to wait until he gets back from work tonight. He cannot check personal emails while he is at work.

I've heard from someone else that if he updates his profile, it'll lock his phone again.

Are you able to check on the status of my own phone being unlocked? I can PM you the MEID/IMEI, account number and PIN if you need.

(You're being very patient with me and I appreciate it very much!)

Boost Care

• 

2.3K Messages

2 y ago

@River616. Yes, please send us a PM with that info and will be able to look it up for you. 

57 Messages

2 y ago

Mint Mobile (as well as most other cell providers including Boost) have compatibility checkers on their sites where you can key the IMEI of the phone and it'll tell you compatibility.  Mint Mobile's is here https://www.mintmobile.com/byop/  Boost's is here https://activate.boostmobile.com/bring-your-phone If you have a locked VM device that is not in service you will have to buy a SIM kit (currently $9.99). If you have an unlocked VM phone that is not in service you will not and can activate service directly on Boost.  If you are looking for a new device and don't have the IMEI to enter, the best way to check is using gsmarea.com  Example is https://m.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_j7-7185.php#j700p  This is my old VM J7 (2015).  Under "Network" click "Expand" and you'll see the transmission standards like CDMA, GSM, LTE, etc.  You'll need to compare the frequency bands of the device not just the standards used by the phone and the carrier.  Even though this phone is GSM and LTE capable, the bands are not used by ATT here in the US.