P

Mon, Oct 11, 2021 8:08 PM

Do I have to upgrade to a 5g phone?

I got an email the other saying I may lose service if I don't upgrade my phone. I have a LG Stylo 5, I've had it about 2 years and it works perfectly fine. Is this email just to get me to spend money? Or will I lose service if I don't upgrade. Also, my daughter has the LG Stylo 4 so will her phone work? She also got an email stating she needed to upgrade or lose service.

We have a family plan. My son upgraded to a LG Stylo 6 a few months ago and was told in the store he had to get a 5G compatible phone because of the network upgrades. But then doing research today it says the 6 isn't 5G compatible. So was he lied to at the store?

I'm just very confused at this point.

29 Messages

2 m ago

It would be best to contact Boost customer service and hope they give you accurate info.  All your phones are currently using the Sprint 3G/4G network and towers; TMobile is shutting them down in January.  At a minimum, you will need new SIM cards to access the TMobile LTE towers and network, as long as those phones can operate on the TMobile LTE frequencies and have VoLTE capability. The real issue is that Boost likely needs to unlock the phones for the new SIMs to work.  One way to find out on your own if they will work is to visit Mint Mobile and input the phone IMEI into their compatibility checker.  It they are, they should be able to handle Boost's new SIM.  If Boost tells you no and the phone works on Mint, move the unlocked phone to Mint.

Boost Care

• 

905 Messages

2 m ago

Hello Yvonne! Thanks for reaching out. You and your daughter will  have to upgrade your phones before January 2022 to avoid interruption in service with us. Your son's phone isn't 5G but that is ok. It is compatible with the new Expanded Data Network, he wont have to change his phone.

4 Messages

@Ojay76  So Boost will still be able to support 4G phones? That wasn't what a rep at the Boost store told me (She specifically said I have to upgrade to 5G.)

So, how do we know if a device is compatible with the Expanded Data Network. I already know my phone is incompatible with the 5G upgrade and I don't want to get a new phone when mine is still in good condition.

Thanks in advance. 

Boost Care

• 

905 Messages

The information you were told at the store is not accurate. You don't have to have a 5G phone unless you really want the 5G speed. There are two primary networks used today by all carriers, one is CDMA and the other is GSM. The CDMA is the network that is going to be shut down. You and your daughter's phones are CDMA phones this is why you have to upgrade them because they won't work on the GSM network. We encourage customers to get 5G phones so they can experience faster speed when they are available, but they are not necessary. I hope this helps clear that up. If you have any more questions please reach back out to us here. 

3 Messages

I was told that I would have to replace my moto G6 play. There is a setting under networks that can change from CDMA to GSM. Would that work?

2 Messages

@Ojay76
I spoke with a Boost Mobile rep and was told my LG Tribute Dynasty LG-SP200 will still work just fine on the new GSM network. I'd really appreciate your confirmation of that since your answers here have been so helpful. Thank you!

1 Message

@Ojay76 ay76 In reading this, now I am really confused.  I was also told in the store that our phones would "crash" at the first of the year, if not before.  Like other customers, I don't want the expense of a new phone, nor the idea of learning new/different features.  We currently have iphone 6's.  I realize that our phones may not be capable of any future system updates as I have already lost access to some of my apps.  And it is a matter of time before we do need to upgrade; however, I would prefer to delay changing phones.  For another phone (non iphone) on our plan, it is only used for making and receiving calls:  this phone I definitely do not want to change unless it is a must.  Will phone service continue to work with the 5g network.  Thank you for any information/guidance.

1 Message

1 m ago

Hello, I am currently a boost customer. I'd hate to switch phones, because I really like mine. So if my phone is 4G capible will I have to switch my phone? It is the older MotoE5play... I got a card in the mail saying that new phone upgrade was required, but underneath it talks about how the 3G network is changing. I'm confused if my phone runs off the 3G network. It's pretty complicated situation, and would appreciate, for all out sakes, if the rules of the switch was further explained and more personalized. I mean, my area probably won't even use 5g since it's rural, so I'd hope my phone would still work here. Please let us know, we appreciate the help!

Boost Care

• 

905 Messages

Hello @Giosanch10! We appreciate you reaching out. There are a lot of phones that are 4G that will work on the new network. We will have to check to see if your phone has the technology needed to work on the new network. To get that done please call us at 1-833-502-6678.  

1 Message

20 d ago

My cellphone has not had any data or call/text service since Sunday. It is now Friday. I tried to buy a phone with another company, to switch companies, and they said their network was no longer compatible with the very phone they had just sold me. This is terrible. I called Best Buy to try to understand more about the situation and it sounded like the best bet would be to buy an unlocked phone. I'm really disappointed with Boost and everything about this merger. The networks. It's just "dog eat dog" with no compassion for the customers... But, Jesus said to forgive, so I must. I hope to get a working cellphone again soon, I was waiting on a call from a prospective employer. God is taking care of me though. God bless you. He loves you.