ReReBoost's profile

Fri, Dec 11, 2020 1:00 AM

$5 charge for RPL - RBA?

I just got charged for RPL - RBA - in the middle of the night. 

What's this for?

12/11/2020 3:02AM RPL - RBA Other -$5.00

Responses

Boost Care

• 

3.5K Messages

4 m ago

Hi there! Effective 12/10/2020, we will start assessing a $5 Monthly Service Charge to any customer on a Pay As You Go Plan. The $5 Monthly Service Charge will be deducted from their account balance on the 10th of every month. If the 10th falls on a weekend or Holiday, the charge will be deducted from their account balance on the next business day. If the customer has no funds or less than $5 on their account balance on the 10th of each month when the fee is assessed, any remaining balance in the account will be deducted and the account will be Interrupted/Barred until money is added to the account. The Monthly Service Charge will act like a payment and push the customer's balance expiration date out 90 days and keep their service active and the account balance safe for another 90 days. The customer will see the description of the charge in My Account listed as: RPL-RBA. You can find details clicking here.

2 Messages

@EdmundM . What you state here does not agree with the information on the boost website. They say you still have to add money at least every 90 days. Either you are wrong or the web page is wrong on the $5 monthly service charge acting like a payment.  from web page: "If you do not add money to your account at least once every 90 days, you will lose your account balance." Please clarify, which is it?

Boost Care

• 

2.7K Messages

Hello, dmptrck2. Sorry for any confusion. As of 12/10/2020, we started assessing a $5 Monthly Service Charge to any customer on a Pay As You Go Plan. The $5 Monthly Service Charge will be deducted from your account balance on the 10th of every month.

• If the 10th falls on a weekend or Holiday, the charge will be deducted from your account balance on the next business day
  • If you have no funds or less than $5 on your account balance on the 10th of each month when the fee is assessed, any remaining balance in the account will be deducted and the account will be Interrupted/Barred until money is added to the account.

You will see the description of the charge in My Account listed as: RPL-RBA:

Hope this helps.

- John J.

2 Messages

John J,

Thanks for your reply. I did understand the new RPL-RBA $5 monthly charge. However my question was about the conflicting information that the $5 monthly payment through the RPL-RBA either does or does not counts as a payment. But on the website Pay As You Go Plan FAQ, it still says that 1 payment must be may every 90 days. So which is it. Is there still the 90 day money add requirement or does the $5 RPL-RBA monthly satisfy the requirement?  Thanks, BB

Boost Care

• 

1.9K Messages

Hello. Thank you for stopping by. Please send us a private message to further assist you. We'll be waiting for your response. Remember, we're here to help. 
- KM.

Boost Care

• 

1.7K Messages

4 m ago

You're welcome. Remember that you can also access https://boost.co/2VzQWpi to make plan changes, make payments, check your due date, and more. We remain at your service. Have a nice day and stay safe!

44 Messages

4 m ago

Thanks for letting me know **sarcasm**

5 Messages

2 m ago

In the original Virgin Mobile pay as you go plan, one had to pay $10 for 45 days service or $20 for 90 days service.  Virgin Mobile made one pay periodically but at least that money that Virgin Mobile takes away from the customer  can be used to pay for calls.   Here Boost Mobile makes one pay $5 per month but that money can't be used to pay for calls.   It's lost forever.  I remember that when my account was transferred from Virgin Mobile to Boost Mobile, Boost Mobile promised that my new plan would be better than my old plan.  I'm not sure about this now.  It's likely still better than my old plan if I don't use the phone that much.

3 Messages

Yeah, this is terrible and just ruins the grandfathered plan. I'd rather boost be transparent and change the $1/90 days requirement instead of secretly deducting $5 from us with a cryptic transaction message that we have to search up.

@preferpaylo is right about boost just stealing our money compared to the old Virgin Mobile plan.

In the old Virgin Mobile plan, it would be $20/90 days or $6.67/month. That would be $6.67/$0.18 = 37 texts or minutes/month.

In the boost plan, if we pay $6.67/month, we'd only be left with $(6.67 - 5)/$0.18 = 9 texts or minutes/month.

Not to mention that Virgin Mobile allowed purchasing android devices under $400 with account balance, whereas Boost doesn't.

This plan was good for people with low usage. Keeping this grandfathered plan is pointless now. Might as well just use better plans like tello $5/month for 100 mins and unlimited text. You'd need a smartphone, but someone you know might have an old one lying around.

Check out these links for comparison of cheaper plans:

https://airtable.com/shrraH105YVJQF2Yr/tblEszFJtM4p2YEvP/viwU8oUsB6GMWcxcE

https://www.reddit.com/r/NoContract/comments/enx5p8/best_cell_phone_plans_2020_new_comparison_chart/

https://www.bestphoneplans.net/

(edited)

3 Messages

Actually, I made a mistake. There is one way to circumvent the $5 deduction though. You can add $5 balance on the 11th of every month and use up the balance before the 10th of the next month. This way, Boost will deduct $0 from your account each month. This still kinda sucks because you can't accumulate more than $5 balance, which is 27 text or minutes.